Cultural & Linguistic Resources
CenCal Health believes in the importance of providing services in the language of choice for our membership. We recognize the importance of clear communication with your patients and committed to assisting you through telephonic, face-to-face, and video remote interpreter services.
Please reference the below information or CenCal Health’s Provider Manual, Language Assistance Program for additional details.
Provider Tools and Resources
Download one or more of the following for more assistance:
- Guidelines and Instructions for using a Telephonic Interpreter
- Point Chart (How to identify your patient’s preferred language)
- Tips when work with an Interpreter
- Provider Interpreter Service Training Webinar Video
Language Access Program Services
- Interpreter services at medical appointments for spoken languages as well as American Sign Language for Health Plan deaf/hearing impaired members. Telephonic and Video Interpreter Services for spoken language are available on a 24 hour basis for medical encounters.
- “Face to Face” Interpreter Service is available for American Sign Language Monday-Friday 24/7 with advance notice.
- Telephonic and Video interpretation is available for over 200 languages for the LEP member through CenCal Health’s language line vendor, Certified Languages International
Federal and State Guidelines
State Language Assistance Regulations (SB853) require that health plans such as CenCal Health provide Limited English Proficient (LEP) members whose primary language is not English access to interpreter services at medical points of service.
- Interpreter services are available on a 24-hour basis for medical encounters.
- Members are NOT required to provide an interpreter or use a friend/family to interpret. This will avoid using untrained interpreters.
- Primary Care Providers (PCP’s) who have identified themselves as speaking Spanish (CenCal Health’s threshold language) in the Provider Directory are obligated to provide interpretation for the members who are capitated and on their case management list.
American Disabilities Act
American Disabilities Act requires that CenCal Health also provide American Sign Language Interpretation (ASL) for its deaf and hearing impaired members for medical appointments at Primary Care Providers offices and Specialty Providers.
Note: ASL and Spoken Language Interpretation Services when provided at a hospital facility are the responsibility of the hospital where the service was provided.
Interpreter Services are just a phone call away. Click here to view a training video on how to utilize this service.
From the moment you place a request with a Certified language Interpreter (CLI) operator, you are immediately connected to a professional interpreter.
Interpreters handle calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to eligible members free of charge.
Follow these easy steps to connect to a telephonic interpreter in more than 200 languages.
Multiple Party Calls
If you need to contact a client, customer, or patient at home, we can connect you to an interpreter and then dial the number, or even multiple numbers for you.
Face-to-Face Interpreter Services
Pre-scheduled medical appointments for American Sign Language (ASL) are available. Face-to-Face Interpreter services are recommended when complication of extensive explanation of treatment or symptoms is required. This service is available 8am-5pm Monday thru Friday for eligible CenCal Health members free of charge.
Contact Member Services at 1 (877) 814-1861 for an ASL face to face appointment. Please allow for 3-5 business days for advance notice, and scheduling for this service.
Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) Services
Video interpreting is available in all languages free of charge to our eligible CenCal Health members. Providers should continue to use the telephonic interpreting whenever possible, and Primary Care Providers should continue to supply their own spanish interpreter, except if they do not offer it for urgent needs. Providers will need to supply their own device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.) for this service and not utilize a members phone.
Online Access Link: cencalhp.cli-video.com
Provider Access Code: 48cencalhp
Click here to view the training video on how to utilize this service.
Step-by-step access details and additional resources:
- Certified Languages International Video Remote Interpreting User Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) Language List
- VRI Minimum Platform Requirements
Important Steps: Please test the bandwidth of your device prior to your appointment at http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/
. This is a simple online test that will ensure that your internet access is fully available when utilizing the video service.
If you are having difficulty accessing this online service (after the speed test), please contact Certified Languages International Bluestream Tech Support at (929) 373-7005.
Need to Cancel a scheduled Interpreter?
If a provider needs to cancel a scheduled interpreter appointment, please call the toll free Member Services line at (877) 814-1861 and inform the Member Service Representatives of the reschedule or cancellation.
Please do not call the interpreter directly to inform them of the cancellation. CenCal Health will communicate all cancellations and changes to the interpreter.
Are you or your staff fluent in a language other than English and would like this represented in CenCal Health’s Provider Directory? Contact the Provider Services at (805) 562-1676 or email Provider Services.